11.11.2011

Nothing says, "You've made it!" better than a hair net.

deep in the secret basement of the Visual Science Lab world headquarters we're experimenting with some new gear that will replace conventional cameras.  If we are successful all you will have to do is strap in,  think of an image and the cyber-snap 2011 can create it, add beautiful pole dancers in stripper heels to the image, dip it in red hot HDR sauce and then incorporate cat whiskers for SE (sharpness evaluation), shove in some gratuitous backlighting and a gel or two and for only $96,000 you too can sport a masterpiece.  Without ever touching a camera or going outside.

But seriously,  I have a confession to make.  I'm supposed to do an hour long presentation at 10:00 am tomorrow morning at the Austin Photo Expo and I'm totally unprepared.  If you ever wanted to see "major fail" tomorrow might be your chance.  

Usually I'm the guy my friends and clients look to when then need stuff that's meticulously planned, double-checked and fault tolerant.  I make back-ups of everything and I have back up gear for every potential pitfall.  But not this time.  You see, I've been doing the real work of photography instead.  I won't bore you with the details but I went from a hoity-toity (but long and richly nuanced) conference assignment on Sunday-Monday-Tues to a recording studio gig and tons of post production on Weds. to a 4:15am wake up call and drive to San Antonio on Thurs. a.m.  And I've been there ever since.  

The photo of me, above, is from today's shoot.  I'm standing in front of a DaVinci robotic micro surgery machine and I'm wearing a tyvek lab coat and hairnet because I've just come from shooting a procedure in a nearby operating room.  I've documented "preemies" and helicopter rescues and giant machines that stare into your guts (or your brain) and I'm about 1,000 big fat raw files into this project.  

It's stacking up like jets over O'Hare in a blizzard.  Everyone needs their stuff yesterday.  And here I am, at 10:47pm on Friday night, downloading files and applying metadata and captions and wondering what the hell I'm going to say in fewer than 12 hours to a couple hundred people about LED lighting.

Bright spot.  My client, Bryan, reminded me that I am going to talk about Lighting Portraits with LED lights.  And he also pointed out that I'd just written the book on the subject and, given how much I talk, he'd be pretty surprised if I couldn't fill up an hour.  And I'm sure he didn't mean that in a snarky way......

But I have an ace up my sleeve.  Super assistant, Amy, will be there to help.  It should be a wild two days. We have two master classes a day to teach this weekend.  I can hardly wait to tell you what happens.  

Just wanted to check in and tell you that I haven't gone AWOL.  Just doing my other job as fast as I can.

If you are in Austin, check out the expo.  Fun stuff for us photo nerds. (comment about idiots who review cameras by long distance removed)  See you there...

9 comments:

JFGilbert said...

The idiots who have never made a picture worth the paper it is not even printed on, but who have the definitive opinion on the V1 and can't understand what you are saying about it can go anywhere they want, but not to hell. I sure don't want to be stuck next to them for the rest of eternity.

Anonymous said...

What's up with the V1 comment. Some negative vibes come at you?

My dad had prostate cancer surgery via the Davinci last year. So far so good. Imagine what will operate on you and me 20 years from now.

atmtx said...

I'm sure your LED Lights presentation will be fantastic. Looking forward to it.

D said...

"I'm supposed to do an hour long presentation at 10:00 am tomorrow morning at the Austin Photo Expo and I'm totally unprepared."

I reckon you won't be getting a lot of sleep tonight.

Were I in the area, I'd drop in, even if you were doing an hour off-the-cuff.

Simon Lupton said...

"I'm supposed to do an hour long presentation at 10:00 am tomorrow morning at the Austin Photo Expo and I'm totally unprepared."

Knowing your subject isn't being unprepared - it's 99% of 'being prepared'

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

First session was okay. Second session was much better. Much better! What was the difference? Well, after the first session I sat down and produced a 60 slide presentation with beautiful samples...... That helped.

Dan Dill said...

" a 60 slide presentation with beautiful samples......

Hmmmm....

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Yes Dan. Of course It was all stock photography from the web....

(disclaimer: All the images were ©kirk tuck. Really.)

Unknown said...

I feel like I am living parallel life to you up here in Boston. Education conference for three days last week and I am in an assortment of hospitals all the time shooting. I've shot the DiVinci robot at about 6 different hospitals now! I think you look better in the hairnet and tyvek though!

john