8.08.2011

Continuing with the medium format nostalgia....beauty.

I've always had a love affair with.......the 150mm Lens on a Square Medium Format camera.  This was shot on the stairs that connect my living room with my dining room.   The model's name is Kara and we originally shot this as an alternative choice for the cover of my first book.  The image was taken with a Carl Zeiss lens but it wasn't on the front of a Hasselblad, it was on the other European MF system I used, the Rollei SLR system.  While there was much to love about the Rolleis, and with the same lens maker and choice of films the ultimate quality was absolutely equal to the Hasselblad, but I always preferred the battery-less operation of the Swedish version and the relative quiet of the shutter.  The Hblad is also a bit lighter.

When we create book covers it's routine to try a number of variations and then judge the winner at the end.  I had worked with Kara on several advertising campaigns before this but they all cast her as the quintessential "soccer mom" while I wanted something a bit sexier.  I don't care what you're marketing, beautiful faces work for me...

Hope everyone is staying cool and having a fun Monday.

(quick note:  shot on Fuji Asti E-6 film and then scanned on an Epson V500 Photo flatbed scanner.)


5 comments:

Wolfgang Lonien said...

Awesome portrait of a very attractive young woman. And thanks for the explanations.

Glenn Harris said...

"soccer mom" - yeah right. Nice image

Jan Klier said...

Nice shot.

Well she definitely is the marketing version of soccer mom. As with most marketing - reality is usually a bit sader looking. But that's what models are for - an aspirational image.

Rob Castro said...

her face is beautiful... almost angelic... the skin is so smooth

Alan said...

That's a beautiful shot. I would be really happy with that image in my portfolio. Thanks for showing it - I need to work harder!